The Mitta Valley
Mitta Mitta is a small picturesque village at the foot of the Great Dividing Range in Northern Victoria. It is situated at the junction of Snowy Creek and the Mitta Mitta River.
It derives it’s name from the name local aboriginals gave to the Mitta Mitta River ‘mida-mudunga’ (where reeds grow).
Mitta Mitta is the meeting point of Snowy Creek and the Mitta River. These two waterways, bordered with large gums, basket and weeping willows and stately Poplars intermingled with ti tree and wattles, combine and wind through acres of fertile land till it reaches the waters of the Murray River.
The Valley has experienced three major agricultural phases, firstly cropping then from 1900 dairying and also timber milling. Dairy farming is now the major industry in the Valley.
While Mitta Mitta was once a thriving mining and agricultural town, today with a permanent population of approximately 31, the town relies on tourism for its existence. To see some of the great local offerings check out our about page.
Fires came close in 1939 but the biggest threat occurred in the early part of 2003 when fires surrounded the village for nearly five weeks. Fortunately there was no loss of life or property within the town but the intensity of the fire seriously destroyed nearby State Forest and some farming land.
The origins of the Mitta Pub
The first hotel, The Laurel (now the Mitta Pub), then a weatherboard building was built then abandoned for years. Cattle wandered around it and children often played in it. Then came George Lewis who took it up again and provided the township with it’s only hotel. The brick portion of the building was erected by Mrs. Elizabeth Craig in 1906. As time went by two other hotels were built. The Junction, which was later destroyed by fire and the Bridge Hotel which was then dismantled in 1949 leaving the Laurel as the only hotel in town.
The origins of the Mitta Store
Charles Brown commenced business in the town as a general storekeeper but was burned out in October 1902. He rebuilt and successfully carried on for a number of years. His shop was then bought by George Moncreiff and the building was later moved to its present site opposite the Mitta Pub.